I hope you all had a great 4th! It’s HOT here in Utah and I could use this Easy Sew Water Bottle Sling. Niki from 365 Days of Crafts and Niki Meiners is sharing a simple and easy sew tote tutorial on how to make a water bottle sling using Oly-Fun. Let’s get those sewing machines fired up!
Easy Sew Water Bottle Sling
Easy sew totes are perfect for the family on the go. We are a pretty active family and like to be on the go. Being on the go with kids means that someone is always hungry or thirsty.
One way I have tried to teach the kids independence and individual responsibility is to have them prepare their own snacks and drinks. I made each kid a sling that will hold a refillable water bottle and a small snack and maybe a piece of gum or two. The kids like them and it is one less task I have to manage. They know that at the 5 minute warning their bags need to be pack or they go without. It might sound strict but I hear so much less complaining than before.
How To Make a Easy Sew Water Bottle Sling:
1. Cut a piece of the Oly-Fun material to 9×5.
2. Sew three of the four edges together with a 1/4 seem allowance.
3. Turn bag inside out.
4. Sew a diagonal seem on each side. This will allow the bag to sit level and provide room for the snacks.
5. Cut a 1 x12 inch strip. No need to cut on the bias to create the trim. The material does not fray.
6. To create the straps cut a strip that is 1 inch wide – I measured my son for the length.
7. Fold the material into thirds and sew closed.
My son also requested hoops to hook on his keys and his whistle. I used the left over strap piece to make this.
Sew the straps onto the inside of the pouch. I make a square because I think it is extra durable.
This is a picture of both of the water bottle slings. Since it was such and easy sew tote. I made my daughter one in less than a half hour after making my first one.