How to make slipcovers

I bought a bunch of large drop clothes and had a girlfriend come over to help me make slipcovers for my family room furniture.  I use the word help very lightly, because all I did was hold fabric down or tell her “good job”.  I was so excited for my new slipcovers, I didn’t even  bother to check the drop cloth color with my walls and white wainscotting.  Nope, full steam ahead like I do all new ideas. Why plan?  Why prepare?  Well, while we are wrestling with large amounts of fabric, half way done, another friend stops by and tells me the truth.  Tells me that it’s going to look terrible with my white waincotting and wall color.  I could have knocked her down right there for crushing my dreams, but she was right.

How To Slip Cover a Couch

But that doesn’t mean the dream is over and I am still smitten with the idea of covering my family room furniture.  This blogger has a great tutorial since she whipped hers up with no issues.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Beautiful

Say that 5 times.

Pam is a girl after my own heart with how she finds thrifty ways to decorate her home.   She even shares the price……..much to her mothers dismay.  But hey…….it’s what a true thrifter does, right?  We wear our bargains like a crown and must share.
Her instructions are pretty good.  Even a non sewing girl like myself starts to think I could do it.  Sew your own slipcovers

SlipCovered Chairshow to slipcover parson chairs

She has a great taste in fabrics.  And seriously……..she has some great directions for slipcovering chairs.  These parson chairs are so versatile, you can update them every few years.  I also fell in love with her dining room cabinet. dining room hutch If you look closely, you can see how she added the frame made with ribbon.  She does the same thing in her “to die for” nursery.  It almost makes me want another baby.nursery make overLook at the back of her book shelves.  That is foam core with grosgrain ribbon.  FOAM CORE= cheap.  Ribbon= cheap.  WOW!  Adds so much and it didn’t cost a fortune.  See those drapes?  Her curtain panels are actually sheets!  SHEETS!!  She has a full tutorial on her site.

Remember when I told you she was thrifty?  Her before fireplace has this gawd awful pinkish tile.  She used spray paint to change the color and had her dad make her a mantle.  I think the transformation is amazing!  If you need to see bigger photos, I guess you’ll just have to head over to her site.  :)

before and after fireplace mantleThe previous owners also didn’t know how to decorate a bathroom.  Here are her before and after shots to prove it.

bathroom make overShe got rid of that builders oak with more spray paint!  I’m tellin ya……..there is nothing a can of spray paint can’t help.
bathroom remodelAs usual, you’ll find lots of inspiration when you visit her blog.  You’ll probably find yourself shopping for cool patterned sheets and spray paint for your next projects.  Don’t forget your job………leave her a comment.  It’s what nice TCB readers do.  :)

************

Comments

What great stuff! The nursery is precious! That’s coming from a sleep deprived mom of three that is OVER baby stuff in general;)

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. Great inspiration for us all. I too, have builder’s oak cabinets in my kitchen and bathrooms that I would love to paint. Enjoyed seeing the before and afters. Those slipcovers are wonderful too. Enjoyed your post. Love & blessings from NC!

3. Lynn from For Love or Funny says

Spray paint on old cabinets? I’m definitely going to check her out!!

4. nicole says

thanks for the link! Spray paint huh? Have to go check that out- we have PINK tiles in one of our baths!

5. EFY says

I popped over to Pam’s site and left her a note. Thanks for the link to the ideas. I need to carve out enough time for a slipcover. Blessings

6. Staci torgerson says

I’ve been needing to sew a slip cover now I have no excuses! Thanks for the before & after photos. Always gives so much inspiration. Will post on her blog as well. Thank you.

7. Dara Lynn says

This has been a great start to a Monday! Handsome (hubby) decided this past weekend to rip the old linoleum floor up in the bathroom, and is choppin at the bit to pick out new paint, and flooring. Yup, right in the middle of planning my son and his fiance’s wedding! Inspiration found on this posting that gives me the extra umph and creative mojo flowing. Big thanks for all that you do!!! Heading over to her blog now! :) Happy Monday!!!

8. Denise @ SpareChangeChic says

I just picked up a parsons chair at Goodwill for my daughters room. This is the inspiration I needed to make a slip cover for it. Thank you.

9. teresa says

OMGoodness!
    Do not EVEN tell me she made that slip~cover for her couch!
    SEW~FABULOUS!!!!!!
    I really really really would LOVE to be someone who could slipcover my own furniture!
    So sad your slip~cover DREAMS got SMASHED!
    I know how you feel!
    The other day my SISTER told me the vlogs on my blog were long and BORING! CRUSHED…that’s what I was! Ah….haha!
    Hey!
    I finally “Got my CRAFT on!”
    I’ll be linking up with YOU…yes YOU tomorrow!
    Pop over and take a peek at my CRAFT!!!!!
    I’m BEAMING!
    And LOVING being able to LINK to one of my FAVORITE peeps!
    It took me awhile…but I FINALLY got CRAFTY!!!!
    Snuggles to Mabie from Doogan!
    And HUGS from ME!
    xoxoxoxooxoxoxox

Thanks so much for featuring me! And definitely go for it with the slipcover! You can totally do it! Email me if you have any questions!

11. Lauren says

Seeing as my couch is covered in spitup from our newborn, I have a feeling slip covering will come in handy. Glad to know there’s a resource for attempting it!

12. cha cha says

So glad I am not the only one who jumps in without a full plan. You are just like the rest of us. I hope you do get that furniture recovered. Good luck.

Cha Cha

13. Kristi says

Slipcovers aren’t as hard as I had thought. I hope you will get the color scheme you would like or maybe you can just paint your room a different color!

I totally need to do SOMETHING with my oak cabinets. Maybe someday…

Love all of these ideas! Very inspiring, especially to a mom who is dying for new furniture but with two kids 3 and under it just isn’t happening, can we say juice and crackers, and whatever else might migrate to the couch! So slipcovers hello!

Maybe you could just paint your walls to match your new slipcovers ;) I totally want to slipcover a loveseat at my house…heading over to her blog to check out the tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

16. Piperdwn says

Just took off my Target slipcovers to launder them today and thought “UGLY”! I’m so glad to see these instructions!! Can’t wait to try them! Thanks!

I must be missing something somewhere because I can’t find a link to her blog, a blog name or anything. I was hoping to hop over there and check it out. :-(

18. maurie says

I can not see any links either – what am I missing…Ive clicked on everything!