Raise your hand if you like Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup!
I haven’t met one person who doesn’t love their crockpot! Bring up crockpot recipes around a group of women and you’ve got an instant conversation starter. I started to make the Chicken Tortilla Soup, using the recipe from my friend Stephanie’s book, Make it Fast – Cook it Slowcook book as inspiration.
I added a few other items she didn’t call for. That’s the beauty of crockpot recipes. You can pretty much dump anything in and it’s good. Before I knew it, I had created my own version with her direction.
I couldn’t survive the school year with all it’s after school activities, soccer practices etc… without my crockpot. There is nothing more satisfying than having dinner ready at the time of day we are all the most tired. I don’t know about you, but my energy declines rapidly after 4pm. (yes, I’m one of those annoying morning people)
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
This soup is hearty and it goes well with corn tortilla’s, scooping out the chunky goodness to wrap up into your own little burrito. Usually I’ll serve it with a salad, but if I’m in a real hurry, I just serve with tortilla chips and everyone’s happy.
- 1½ cups shredded cooked chicken
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 (14oz) cans of diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 can (10oz) Rotel
- 1 can (15oz) Ranch Style Beans
- 1 cup chopped fresh veggies (celery, carrots)
- 4 garlic cloves chopped or crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 or 4 cups chicken broth (gauge how thick it looks, if it looks too thick, add the 4th cup)
- I (15oz) can white hominy (or add roasted corn, frozen or canned)
- Using a 4 quart slow cooker, add all your ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Adorn the top with sour cream, cubed avocado, olives and crushed tortilla chips.
Like Crockpot recipes? I swear by Stephanie’s Crockpot Cookbooks,Make It Fast, Cook It Slow
I really do use it more than once a week.
Have you signed up for my newsletter?