Crockpot Mississippi Pot Roast

It’s Slow Cooker Sunday!

I had never heard of Mississippi Pot Roast, let alone, Crockpot Mississippi Pot Roast.  A girlfriend posted something about it on facebook and it piqued my interest and before I knew it, I was looking up Mississippi Pot Roast and found a TON of links. So since there are a TON of them, I will just say I was inspired by all.

crockpot mississippi pot roast  TodaysCreativeBlog.net slow cooker Sunday - todays creative blog

This was by far one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever done. It’s one of those dump and cook crockpot recipes that really do give your slow cooker the crown it deserves. Just put the ingredients in, turn it on, come home 8 hours later to a delicious meal. Sounds pretty heavenly doesn’t it?

crockpot mississippi pot roast  TodaysCreativeBlog.net

When I asked my husband to pick up a beef pot roast at the grocery, (yes, he does most the grocery shopping because he likes buying all the on sale starbucks coffee without me telling him we don’t need anymore since we have 10 lbs in the freezer already) I think he practically did a cartwheel out to the car. The man loves beef and he knows I hate cooking it.

crockpot mississippi pot roast  TodaysCreativeBlog.net

He brought the roast home and was very interested as to WHEN I was planning this meal.

I put this meal together in about 5 min one morning when I knew our evening would be a bit hectic. I put a few baked potatoes in the oven an hour or so before dinner, steamed some veggies and had what I call a Farmer’s Dinner. Meat, Potatoes and Veg…..the only thing missing was the bread and butter.  My husband was a happy man. (if your oven has a delayed timer option, you could place your potatoes inside in the morning)

How to make Crockpot Mississippi Pot Roast

Crockpot Mississippi Pot Roast

Ingredients
  • 1 beef roast
  • 1 envelope package of dry Ranch Dressing mix
  • 1 envelope package of dry Au Jus
  • 1 stick of butter (real)
  • 5 or 6 pepperoncini peppers (or more)
Instructions
  1. Place your roast inside your crockpot
  2. Sprinkle both (ranch dressing and au jus) dry seasoning envelopes over the roast.
  3. Place your peppers around the roast.
  4. Place your stick of butter on top of the roast.
  5. DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE.........it will be OK, really.
  6. Turn on Low for 8 hours. Mine looked done after about 7. I suppose you could also try placing on high for 4 hours if you're in a hurry. I haven't tried cooking on high.
  7. When I make this again, I plan on flipping my roast over at the 4 hour mark.
Notes
This makes some yummy gravy! Great for drizzling over baked potatoes or egg noodles.

Other tried and true Slow cooker recipes

Kim

Kim

Owner/Founder at Today's Creative Blog
Since 2007, Kim has been sharing tips and tutorials on how to live a creative life. Owner/Founder of Today's Creative Blog and InspirationDIY.com where inspiration happens everyday! From the Pacific Northwest, Kim is a busy mom who adores her teen son, her middle aged husband and is constantly wiping the muddy paws of her adorable Labradoodle Maybelline. In her spare time, she teaches fitness classes and loves to decorate with thrift store bargains. You can also find Kim once a month on Portland's AMNW Morning show as their "creative expert". Life is more fun when it's creative!
Kim

Kim

Kim
Kim

Kim

Kim

Latest posts by Kim (see all)

Comments

1. Elaine says

Our family LOVES this roast! It’s perfect for our hectic weeknights. I also use a plug in timer since we are usually gone 12 hours a day, its the kind you’d use for lamps etc not only was it a cheap option it works fantastic! One of the best things I’ve ever bought!

• says

Elaine – I did the same thing and purchased one of those light thingies. It makes slow cooking so much easier when you have to be at work all day! I can now throw semi frozen chicken breasts in the cooker, set it to turn on about 4 hours after I leave for work and walk into a fabulous smelling house at the end of the day with moist chicken breasts ready to serve.

• stacy says

I have a crock pot that I cant set the timer and when the timer goes on it goes to warm so bacteria doesn’t grow. it wasn’t expensive off Amazon

• stacy says

I just need to proof read what I mean to say is I have a timer I can set on my crockpot and when the timer goes off it will put my meal to warm until I turn I turn it off so bacteria cant grow.

• Laurel says

Trust in adding no liquid. The juices from the meat with seep out. I make pork all of the time and add no liquid! Made this recipe tonight and everyone LOVED it!!!

• says

I had never heard of this recipe, but when I searched to give credit, I soon realized that everyone and their dog makes it.

2. Tina says

Was just wondering…
    Recipe says an entire stick of butter but your pic looks like it’s about a 1/2 stick. What did you end up using?

3. michelle says

Can you add veggies to this? I see you steamed them but the veggies in the meat juices are always so good. Also did you take some of the butter ojt when it was done? A stick of butter is a lot. I am guessing the stick of butter is what makes it so good. :) thank you for the post.

• says

A stick is a LOT! And yes……anything with that much BUTTA is delicious. I’m going to try it with coconut oil next. Who knows!
      Yes, you could add veggies! I baked potatoes and used the juice to drizzle over them.

4. becky patterson says

Hmm, now I just need to figure out where to buy au jus gravy mix and ranch dressing mix – LOL! Think I’ll try this one. Thanks Kim

I had pulled a roast out for dinner and was going to do the same ‘ol same ‘ol and then I saw this.
    BEST. ROAST. EVER!! My husband and daughter said several times how good it was! I was worried about not having any juice, but definitely not a problem. I was able to make awesome gravy with it as well!
    Thank you! I will never make it any other way again!
    Kristy @ Cup Of Jo

6. Mandee says

Hi, I want to make the roast tonight? Have you tried cooking it on high yet for 4 hours? If you could let me know asap that would be awesome and much appreciated! Thanks!

I wanted to let you know, I made this for dinner last night. I can’t recall the last time my husband went so so so crazy for a crockpot meal. He’s not your typical meat and potato guy but this one he said was a WINNER! Thanks for sharing this incredibly easy one with us!

8. stephanie says

Hi I’m going to make this tonight, but im using a tri-tip roast and its a little under 2 pounds because I have Small family. My questions are should my cook time be shorter, like 5 to 6 hours? And should I use less butter?

9. Raina says

Hi there!
    I am not what people would call the best cook in the world haha! So pardon my silly question. I was wondering, for the gravy, do you have to add anything when you take the roast out of the pot? Or does the combo of the melted butter, dry mixes, and meat juice just combine on it’s own? Thanks so much! :D

• says

we just used it as is for baked potatoes, but it was still a little thin. You could take the gravy out and mix it with a bit of flour in a sauce pan if you wanted something thicker.

10. jamie says

i just want to say i just made this today and OMG. It is beyond delicious!!! i threw some tiny weeny baby carrots in at the half way point too.

11. Krissy says

I got this exact same recipe from a friend and it was awesome! By far the best crock pot meal I have ever made. I didn’t know this until afterward, but the ranch dressing mix contains MSG. I’m not sure if the Au Jus mix does or not. I am sensitive to MSG so I looked at the grocery store for other brands and couldn’t find any ranch mix without MSG. Today I am trying this recipe again but am using a DIY ranch dressing mix substitute recipe that I found online that is just a bunch of spices. I’m worried that it is not going to turn out as good though. I’m curious if anyone else has been concerned about MSG and found any substitutes? Thanks!

12. Cindy says

All I had was a pork roast… I didn’t like it so much.. Gonna try it with a chuck roast next time:) Ill bet it will be better.

13. Joe says

We love love love this roast, but we add 3 more ingredients. 1 lb package of baby carrots, 1 1/2 lb bag of baby honey gold potatoes & 1 Large sweet vidalia onion cut into 1/8 wedges then separated and spread over the top. Then we dust the top generously with garlic powder. The flavor of the veggies is phenomenal after cooking on low for 10 hours!!!

14. Pam Adams says

I put this in the crockpot this morning before going to work. My boyfriend ran over to check on it after about 4 hours. He flipped the roast over as was suggested by a comment I had read. He said the house smelled wonderful and he took a slice of the meat. He was amazed at how flavorful it was. He went back to the house later to peel the potatoes and put them in water for me when I got home from work. He took another slice… This is a keeper!